Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission, if you click on the link and make a purchase - at no extra cost for you.
Eggs are undeniably one of the most versatile, delicious and nutrient-dense foods on the planet. But, cooking them the same way over and over again can get pretty boring. If you are feeling stuck in an egg rut, here’s a recipe that will help you get out of it.
This easy-to-make rolled omelette also known as ‘Gyeran Mari’ is a popular Korean dish. It’s a savoury side dish that’s not just perfect for breakfast but is also a great choice for lunch boxes.
The best part of this recipe is that you can sneak in a variety of nutritious veggies like broccoli, spinach, zucchini and even kale, and your kids won’t complain at all. Rolled spinach omelette is a gluten-free, high-protein dish that is low in calories. Loaded with spinach leaves, onions and tomatoes this recipe is ideal for vegetarians too.
HOW TO MAKE ROLLED OMELETTE (GYERAN MARI)
This beautiful, fluffy omelette is simply made with beaten eggs and a few chopped vegetables of your choice. Carrots and onions are the most common ingredients but you can also use mushrooms, cheese, canned tuna or shrimps.
A rolled omelette is usually prepared in a non-stick, rectangular pan called the Tamagoyaki pan. While this special pan is great for making the perfect roll, a round frying pan will do the job too.
To master the art of making a perfect rolled omelette, all you need is a bit of practice. Start by whisking the eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl thoroughly, and stir in the finely chopped vegetables. Drizzle a bit of oil in a pan and heat it over medium heat. Pour a thin layer of the egg mixture. Let it cook for a couple of minutes and then start rolling it halfway to the middle, using a spatula. Move the rolled part to the edge of the pan, and add another thin layer of the egg mixture. Repeat the same process until all the egg mixture is used up. Once done, let the rolled omelette cool and slice it into small pieces. And there you have it! A simple yet amazingly delicious rolled omelette!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF EGGS AND SPINACH
Both eggs and spinach claim a spot on every ‘superfood’ list out there, thanks to their high nutrient content and health-enhancing properties. Packed with high-quality protein, powerful antioxidants and essential vitamins and minerals, this egg-spinach combo can help meet your regular nutritional needs.
Eggs are complete sources of protein as they contain all nine essential amino acids. This protein-rich food may aid in weight loss by keeping you full for longer and reducing your calorie intake. They are also abundant in antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin which protect eye health by preventing cataracts and other eye disorders. Another nutrient found in eggs is choline which is essential for brain development and a healthy nervous system. Moreover, eggs contain vitamins A, B12 and selenium which help keep the immune system healthy.
Spinach is another good source of fibre, vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants which may help ward off chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease. Rich in magnesium, potassium, folate and naturally-occurring nitrates, spinach may also help lower blood pressure and support heart health. Plus, vitamins A, C and B7 found in spinach promote healthy skin and hair too.
Rolled Spinach Omelette
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups of raw spinach, chopped
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 2 tomatoes – chopped
- 3 green chillies – chopped
- olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- salt (as per taste)
- Drizzle two tablespoons of oil in a skillet and heat it over medium heat.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes until they wilt. Remove from heat and let the spinach cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chopped onions, tomatoes, green chillies and the cooked spinach.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Grease the pan with oil.
- Once heated, pour 2 scoops of the egg mixture and swirl the pan to cover the surface of the pan.
- Let it cook for 1-2 minutes. Once the omelette is half cooked, roll it slowly halfway from the right to the middle using a spatula.
- Now, gently move the rolled portion of the omelette to the edge of the pan and grease the empty part of the pan with oil.
- Next, pour another 2 scoops of the egg mixture and spread into a thin, even layer. Once the layer is half cooked, roll the egg roll halfway to the middle and move it to the edge of the pan again.
- Repeat the process until the egg mixture is used up. Transfer the rolled omelette to a plate once it's done, and let it cool for a couple of minutes.
- Finally, slice the omelette into 1-inch pieces and serve!
Do give this recipe a try and let me know in the comments if you loved it! Share this recipe with your friends and family and don’t forget to LIKE.